West Virginia is full of beautiful hiking trails for every kind of hiker. Here in Beckley, we’re a short drive from areas like the New River Gorge and various area parks. Here are some of the best hiking trails near Beckley, West Virginia.
Beckley is just half an hour away from the New River Gorge, which holds some of the best hiking trails in the state. Grab a hiking trail map and head to the New River Gorge Bridge, and then start your journey through the 17 hiking trails just in this area. From short and easy trips to more difficult, many-mile hikes, the New River Gorge has something for everyone.
Thurmond is another popular area for hiking in the New River Gorge area, with more than 13 developed hiking and biking miles across 7 trails. Glade Creek Trails, Grandview Park, and the Sandstone-Hinton Area all offer New River Gorge-area hiking as well.
You can also check out the hiking scene at the many state parks. Little Beaver State Park is less than 20 minutes from Beckley and has 10 hiking trails, and Babcock State Park and Hawks Nest State Park are also close. One thing is for sure: you’ll never run out of trails to hike in the Beckley area. At Mountaineer Mitsubishi, we’re committed to experiencing nature and getting fit while you do it, so we hope you’ll check these out!
Are you looking to create a new family tradition? A long-lasting memory among friends? Consider taking a trip to your local pumpkin patch, where everyone gets to pick out their favorite pumpkin!
Whether you carve your pumpkin into a jack-o’-lantern, roast its seeds for a treat, or simply leave it intact for a festive decoration, there’s nothing else that can get you in the mood for Halloween like a pumpkin.
Here are some pumpkin patches near Beckley and spreading further out, where you can begin your journey:
- Okes Family Farms
- Cooper Family Farms
- Old McDonald’s Pumpkin Patch
- Orr’s Farm Market
- Byrnside Branch Farm
- Morgan Orchard
Wherever you go, be sure to wear sunscreen and wear long sleeves. Even though it’s October, long exposure to sunlight can do damage.
What’s your favorite thing to do with a pumpkin? Let us know your thoughts in the comments. And if your trip takes you past Mountaineer Mitsubishi, consider stopping in to check out all the great models we have on the lot—or to show us your pumpkin masterpiece!
Did you know that West Virginia is home to over 50 state parks and forests just waiting to be explored this summer? Your next daytrip, weekend excursion, or full-fledged vacation may be mere miles down the road. Check out four of our favorite West Virginia state parks, all less than an hour from Mountaineer Mitsubishi in Beckley, WV.
- Little Beaver State Park: Just 15 minutes from Beckley, Little Beaver is home to a variety of outdoor activities. An 18-acre lake stands in the center of the park, where visitors can fish, canoe, or kayak. Visitors can picnic, hike, and bike their way through the park’s many trails.
- Twin Falls State Park: Take a short ride to Twin Falls, less than 40 minutes outside of Beckley, boasting a lodge, cottages, campsites, and an 18-hole golf course. Guests are able to hike one (or more!) of the park’s twelve trails, go swimming in the pool, or visit the Pioneer Farm, a restored living history 1830s homestead.
- Plum Orchard Lake: About a half-hour from Beckley rests Plum Orchard Lake, spanning over 200 acres. The lake has 6.5 half miles of shoreline and, with a maximum depth of 40 feet, makes for good fishing and boating. Hunting is allowed at Plum Orchard Lake, a wildlife management area, where deer, wild turkey, and squirrel abound.
- Pipestem Resort State Park: Drive 55 minutes southeast of Beckley and arrive at Pipestem Resort, where you can stay at one of two lodges, rent a cottage, camp, golf, and more. Park visitors can see West Virginia plant and animal life in the Nature Center, participate in weekly resort activities, fish in Long Branch Lake, and hike the numerous trails throughout the park.
Whether you head to a state park near or far this summer, remember to take advantage of the many attractions West Virginia has to offer, including those local to Beckley. Need a new set of wheels to get you there? Make a stop at Mountaineer Mitsubishi and let us give you a hand. Happy trails!
Pack your family up in the Mitsubishi and visit one of these great West Virginia state parks!